July 16, 2017 12:52 am - Published by

Project 5 is closer to the road than it has been over the last 3 years and couldn’t have happened without the help from friends across the country!! 

Special thanks to Combustionpunks very own GarageBarefoot 

For storage, tech days and parts 

And Philip Westwood at RPG DIPS/ Redicap Performance Garage 

For the mobile mechanics and engine swap assistance 

Two engine swaps, complete suspension and brake rebuild, arms, subframes and roll cage refitting… It’s undergone a few visual changes too. 

INTERIOR 
The once, show worthy interior, has been stripped out, carpets taken up (Found the traditional, factory fitted 100Yen for good luck!) And stripped back for the ultimate minimalistic and noisy experience. Some other little mods are keeping me busy inbetween the arrival of parts…

BUMPER CUT

There were twin exit cut outs either side… But I wanted to keep the Spoon rep back box (needs some serious TLC with some fine grit and autosol!) so @Yetidragon kindly hacked up my rear end with the awesome new Makita grinder πŸ˜…

I Used a ruler to get 13″ below the bumper recess line all the way across… lined it up with a wax crayon and hand estimated the curves either end πŸ‘€πŸ˜…

Still need to modify the “crash pad” behind the bumper, I don’t want to remove it completely (like the orange eunos, cus it flapped about loads!) But for now, it’s given clearance to mount and hang the zaust in a transportable fashion…. From what I can remember, the rear panel and lights need to be removed to remove the bumper….

I’ve been prepping parts for paint for the Interior. I want to keep the outside turquoise but bring some contrast inside. I plan on painting a few interior bits in a custom purple flip paint. The gauge holder/ crash pad and the roll cage at least.

With the special pearl on the exterior paint job, it needs to be a special kind of purple. I’ve got a friend working on a few custom recipes….

There’s also a nuts pearl we’re trying to perfect with the right balance of blue and green, which if used, will be to paint some exciting custom editions to the exterior of the car…

 
And for anyone who’s not seen the flowery mx5 (it’s been off the road around 3 years) here’s a pic of the current paintwork.

 
The gauge pod/ crash pad for paint has been scuffed up, washed and will be primered and painted one evening this week.

CLOCKS

Figured next thing Id play with would be the clocks. I want to swap the glass on my 89 import clocks since it was broken during removal. And they’re custom faces. But I stalled…. Getting the glass away from the rest of the cluster requires much patience, dexterity and heat.

A breif ‘How To’ may be up soon.. A tedious little job! 

There was also a shiny JassPerformance surround, that in my haste to paint, I didn’t get a photo of… But it was finished in brushed chrome and decided it had to go… (Nothing to do with the fact I was desperate to play with the purple paint!)

A scuff back, wash, dry and couple of coats of high build primer… Several coats of custom purple flip/ flake mix and way too much laquer later….

Ive put a little clip on Instagram to show the blue/ purple flip…. will need a wet sand in a few days to remove the solvent bubbles from the clear coat but I’m pretty happy with the colour… Crash Pad next πŸ˜„


Tags: , , , , , ,

Categorised in:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *